Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lots of Snow...

Headed out this afternoon about 3:30 to what is becoming my favorite ride- Findley Rd.  After snowing for the past few days we had what turned out to be a beautiful day.  The sun was shining but it was still pretty cold.  I knew there would be some snow on the road.  Riding in snow reminds me a little of trying to run in sand.  You have to put a great deal of energy to travel the same speed/ distance.  It took me about 40 minutes to get to the top of Findley.  I wanted to go a little further this time, up to the next saddle.  I believe there might be some private land that connects with the BLM portion.  There is a green gate up the hill from the junction where the 3 roads connect.  It is pretty difficult to see because of the large trees on the satellite photo.  I brought my old iphone with me a snapped a few pictures.  Once I made it past the gate the snow got pretty deep- about 4 inches. Heading back was of course, much easier.  I noticed that you have to be a little weary of using the front brake on the snow.  The front wheel tends to slip a little.  I found myself using the back brake more than usual in the deeper snow.  Almost 10 miles round trip.
From the top, looking back to Whiskey Gulch

Can you see where I had to walk?

Beautiful- the sunlight filtered into the road.

Getting Ready to head back...

No comments:

Post a Comment