Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A new out and back route.

It has been raining all day.  There has been a few times where there was light rain- which is always fine to ride in.  Either way, all I knew is that I was going for a ride.  It was raining pretty heavy when I left with some serious wind gusts.  The weather calmed down once I hit findley road.  It wasn't too rainy for the climb- there is basically a creek running down the road though.  I had been thinking about a ride that I used to do when I was a kid.  It used to be a loop and some people bought the property and blocked it off.  It is the Whiskey gulch area which connects in with Findley and what I used to call "Smith Lane".  Just like Findley road, you have to cross through Private land to get to the public land.  Just make sure you stay on the road ridge road.  The owner of the land is OK with people respectfully crossing his land using this ridge road and assumes no liability or responsibility for what happens while you are crossing the road.  In fact, I don't recommend, promote or suggest that you try this or any of these routes on this blog.  If you decide to give them a try, you will assume all liability for whatever may happen- and anything can and will happen.  Did you see the wipeout with my riding buddy?

The rain picked up so I guess I wimped out.  I went to the top of the ridge on the road and then turned around.  I brought a few extra layers because I knew I'd get cold.  I also put on my balaclava for the downhill because with the combination of rain and sweat, I was getting chilly.
The creek here was really flowing.

A creek here too, not as pretty.  The only reason I stopped here was because I lost traction.

Nice view up on the top of the ridge.  Not as high as the other "Findley Peaks" I ride to.

So I am rethinking my "no fenders" philosophy.  Especially when it is raining.  I'm ok with mud in my face, not really OK with a deluge of water and mud...

I thought I stopped the timer, I looked at my computer later and it was still running.  I think it was about 1:20 round trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment